Fire engineering can start with either the codes or with the design. With a codes-driven approach one should expect to compromise elements of the architectural vision in making the design code compliant.
Fire engineering based on real life
With a design approach, which is our approach, fire engineers give themselves the far more difficult task of protecting the vision by creating a bespoke strategy through fire engineering. It is a scientific approach that uses the statistics of real fires, calculation tools and studies of human behaviour. This preserves the architectural design and provides value by reducing over-specification caused by conservative codes and allows the fire protection to be deployed where the risk is.
Taking this approach means we have to shoulder more of the risk. We believe it is a price worth paying. With every project being a prototype, we push the boundaries and, by doing so, are able to recruit from the brightest people in the industry. This not only equips us to handle the extra risk, but has been central to us being able to continually improve what we offer: better value and safer buildings.
In the ten years that our (SAFE) fire team has been in business, we are now acknowledged as one of the foremost fire engineering consultants in the UK and Middle East, and have a fast-growing wider international presence.
Fire engineering services
The following are services that can be provided by our fire engineering team:
- Strategic Fire Engineering
- Internal and external fire spread
- Smoke management
- Fire detection and fire protection systems
- Fire fighting — internally and site wide
- Construction requirements
- Fire Systems Design
- Concept Design and Specification Development
- System Costing and Budget Models
- Detailed Design and Integration of Systems
- Tendering and Project Management
- Commissioning, Functionality Assessments an Technical Support
- Fire Risk Assessment
- Qualitative Risk Screening
- HAZOP and HAZID
- What-if Analysis and fault and Event Tree Analysis
- Fire and Explosion Damage calculations and Modeling
- Structural Fire Engineering
- Computer Modelling
- Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD Analysis)
- Evacuation Modeling (i.e., STEPS software)